Washington Research Foundation (WRF) is seeking 2-4 Venture Analysts to assist with conducting due diligence on potential grants and investments, primarily in life sciences and enabling technologies. WRF is a private foundation based in the Eastlake neighborhood of Seattle that supports the development of groundbreaking technologies at nonprofit research institutions in Washington state. WRF Capital is the investment vehicle for WRF, investing in start-ups in Washington state, with a particular focus on spinouts from Washington State research institutions.
Venture Analysts will perform background research on grant-making and investment opportunities currently under consideration by WRF. Analysts will gain a greater understanding of the process of commercialization as they work for a regionally-focused foundation and venture capital firm.
WRF Venture Analysts:
- Work up to 10 hours per week remotely or in the office
- Receive compensation of $30/hour
- Are appointed for up to one year based on performance and mutual agreement
- Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S.
- Applicants confirm with their school and advisor that they are eligible to work up to 10 hours a week outside of their school program
- Candidates must be enrolled in an MBA program, a graduate health degree (e.g. PharmD), a graduate program in a STEM field such as chemistry, life science, information technology or engineering, or in a postdoctoral fellowship program
- Candidates must be affiliated with a Washington state research university, such as UW, WSU, EWU, WWU and CWU. If you are based at another Washington-based institution, please contact us to confirm eligibility
- Applicants must have the explicit consent of their Ph.D. supervisor, academic advisor, or PI
- We are seeking applicants who have some experience with entrepreneurship or entrepreneurial thinking. Examples include:
- Participation in entrepreneurship training (for example, TEC certificate courses in Foster School, Program in Technology Commercialization, Creative Destruction Lab)
- Participation in SEBA events
- Participation in the Hollomon Health Innovation Challenge or Dempsey Startup Competition
- Prior business experience
Application deadline: 5 p.m. on Thursday, June 30, 2022
An information session with current Venture Analysts will be held via Zoom on Friday, June 24 at 12 p.m. A link will be sent on Wednesday, June 22 to all applicants, or anyone requesting an invitation through firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meet the WRF Venture Analysts >
The ultimate puzzle: former WRF Senior Venture Analyst Emily Rabe was featured in the June 2020 edition of University of Washington Magazine. Photo by Corinne Thrash, UW College of Arts & Sciences
WRF has a two-part application process.
Part A: Submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com by 5 p.m. on Thursday, June 30, 2022.
- Cover letters must included the following information:
- Full name and address
- Email address
- Phone number
- Degree program if applicable
- Name of faculty whom you report to (dissertation chair or PI for Ph․D․ students, academic advisor for professional health degree students, supervisor for postdocs)
- Faculty contact email
- Confirmation of faculty advisor: Does your faculty advisor know you are completing this application and are they supportive of your application?
- Confirmation that you are permitted to work up to 10 hours per week in the United States outside of your primary employment
- Expected quarter of degree completion
- Please describe your current area of research in a way that is accessible to non-experts (max. 500 words)
- Please describe any training or experience that you have in entrepreneurship (max․ 500 words)
Part B: By invitation only, write a 3-5 page report on one of 4 to 5 preselected innovations described in published papers, addressing several topics relevant to commercialization potential and pathways. Further details on this assignment are provided with the invitation.
- Applicants are encouraged to attend an information session with current venture analysts on Friday, June 24 at 12 p.m.
- Initial applications are due by 5 p.m. on Thursday, June 30, 2022
- Applicants will be informed whether they are invited to submit a full application by Thursday, July 7, 2022
- Full applications will be due by the end of the day on Tuesday, July 26, 2022
- Applicants will be informed if they are invited for an interview by Monday, August 1, 2022
- Interviews will be conducted in person (or on Zoom for non-local applicants) the week of August 9 – August 12
- Candidates will be notified of their final status by Wednesday, August 17, 2022 and asked to accept or decline any potential offer by Friday, August 26, 2022
- Orientation will be held on Thursday, September 8, 2022
If you have further questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.